Monday, April 13, 2009

Village Idiot On Demand

Okay.. How hard is it to run a VCR? Put the TV on the show you want, put a tape in, and push REC, right? This is the way most people do it. I on the other hand am an idiot! *arg!*

I just had the most difficult time EVER working the VCR. It was a simple thing. I just wanted to make a copy of the Saturday morning and Afternoon sessions of conference for my friend. Comcast has them On Demand for free. (Hope I don’t get in trouble by admitting that I was doing that. It’s probably why I had such a stupor of thought about the whole thing.)

My friend feels bad for the trouble I had but it was so NOT her fault that I haven’t got a brain in my head. I was happy to do it for her and volunteered for the job.
She brought me her tapes and I threw them in, started the Sat morning session, and hit record. They are 2 hours each and so I just let it play with the sound down and went about my day. I had to leave and because it was On Demand I couldn’t set the timer on the VCR to stop so I just let it record until I got back to stop it. I rewound it to the end of the first session so that I could record the afternoon on the same tape. So far so good.

The next day, I started the afternoon session recording and wanted to hear a few of the talks again so I cranked the volume and cleaned my house while I listened. I got a phone call and so I muted the sound. when I saw it was the last song I text-ed my friend that they were ready and she could come pick them up.

Being a perfectionist I rewound a little and checked it. I found out that the last talk was minus sound. Apparently, when I muted the volume what I actually had done was muted the cable box and not the TV and so no audio went to the VCR. The picture was good but the sound was absent. I got it set up to re-record the last talk (Pres. Ering’s awesomeness!) but didn’t have it done when my friend stopped by so I had to admit my mistake. No prob. She is a good friend and didn’t make fun. She said that she always wanted to learn to read lips. *ha!* I told her I’d run it over to her when it was done.

Finished. I rewound it (and checked the playback at the first, cuz you know how I am) and found to my dismay that I when I turned the sound down for that session it was the cable box again and so the talks were in whisper mode. *ack!* Fixed it. re-re-recording set. 2 hours later and I was setting the second session to record on a non-cranked volume. When it that was halfway done taping I realized that I had recorded the wrong morning session. I had taped Sun AM instead of Sat AM! *ugh*

(to my credit they do all look and start the same... a shot of beautiful grounds while the choir sings and the voice from above says, "Welcome to the 179th Annual Conference of the LDS Church...all copies or transcriptions of this broadcast without express written permission... etc, etc, etc... *sigh*)

I let the afternoon finish and rewound to re-re-re-recorde the correct morning session.

2 hours later I completely spaced stopping it and it ran over the afternoon session which completely ruined it and required a whole NEW taping of the afternoon session. *grumbles*

Finally done. I rewound the thing, (making myself not check ANY of it!) turned it over to my friend, and made her promise to not breathe a word to me about it if something was wrong with the tape. *gnashing of teeth*

1 comment:

Karen said...

Not to worry. There were too many technologies to juggle in this story. I could've happened to anyone :-)