Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Waves of Technology


My family and I have been going through a difficult time this past week. There has been a death in our family. The microwave. It has been ill for a month or so. Strange arching lights occur randomly. This happened most commonly whilst popping corn. (maybe, because we have popcorn often) Wailing could be heard on these occasions because once you start a bag of microwave popcorn you can't really finish cooking it if interrupted. And, we buy the good "Butter Lovers" variety, too. Such a tragedy.

We've been cursing this dastardly fickle appliance and then it croaked. And, out of revenge, it did so on a weekend.... a weekend that we had a new movie to watch. *gnashes teeth* Luckily, we have good neighbors that rescued us. The girls were a bit embarrassed to ask, but, Hey! It was either go begging of go snackless! (Yes, I know that we could have air popped and buttered.. but it's just not the same - *shrug* and how on earth would we have melted butter??)

That was the weekend but then we've had to wait for the part to come in the mail. It is a little 3x5 piece of cardboard that is spray painted metallic silver *rolls eyes* and costs $11.95 plus $7.95 shipping *ugh* I think they can charge more for this do-hickey because it has a big name. It is the "Wave Guide Cover" *oi*

Yesterday, I had to cook dinner without it. It was a soccer night (*translation* quick small meal in a giant hurry) I had tons of great leftovers and dug them out buffet style then remembered that my microwave was dark. No plan B and the game in 30 minutes so I had to re-heat things - like the pioneers - ON THE STOVE! *shakes head*

I can now add burning leftover chicken to the long list of anti-accomplishments in the Kitchen.

I didn't realize that my particular cooking style was so dependent on this machine. I am sorely repenting taking it for granted. This morning I had to heat water in a pan for my breakfast! It's like the dark ages over here.

I cannot wait to hear the UPS truck today! *sings* Mr. Postman... bring me a dream...make it the bestest that I've even seen... (Not the actual lyrics. but I am really singing them...)

No comments: